Kahran Ramsus

Chapter Two: What Price Heroism?

Josh Gurfinkel

d1a2n3@idirect.com



Recognition Code 0404676- 'Krelian'

"No... he wouldn't..." Krelian ran over to the control panel and keyed something in. "I want a blueprint of sectors 3-8. NOW!" His men scrambled, pulling up the file and sending it over to the computer console Krelian was working on. He got the file, opened it and stared at it for a few moments. Moving away from the panel, Krelian stood in front of his men, a blank expression on his face. He looked around at the others, but they were silent.

"Sir?" a concerned lieutenant asked, breaking through the silence. They looked at Krelian, and it appeared as if he knew something. Something he didn't understand before, but was now clear to him.

"No... this was never his intended destination. It's just like in the vision... I'm not his target. He's after..."



***



Krelian woke up, covered in sweat. He looked around his room, but no one was there.

"Aargh... what does it mean?" he asked himself. "Why do I have to watch these visions like some fool, being led by a thin string? Show it all to me! At least tell me why I'm being forced to watch it. I am Alpha and Omega here! Ruler of Solaris! What I say GOES! SO TELL ME!" he screamed in fury. Getting out of his bed, Krelian walked over to the door. He leaned against it, then slid down until he was sitting on the ground. He put his knees up to his chest and hugged them. A tear began to fall down the side of his face.

"Tell me... please..."



Kazzick walked up to the door, and knocked three times. No answer. He knocked thrice more. No answer. Overlaying his arms by his chest, giving the impression he was feeling impatient --which he was--, he called out.

"Oh, for the love of God, Ramses, just put on the uniform and let's go!" He waited eight of the longest seconds of his life, before knocking again. Without warning, the door slid open, revealing Ramses, dressed in the Standard Issue Solarian Guard Uniform he was given before.

"Why do I have to go see him? The man hates me." Ramses said, walking out of his room, leaving the door to close itself. Him and Kazzick began to walk down the hall together.

"Come now, Ramses. You have never even met Krelian. How can you say he hates you? He claims to have much use for you," Kazzick said, trying to cheer him up.

"I have met Krelian. In the lab, where I was bor-- created." Kazzick looked at Ramses.

The boy always calls it the lab of his 'creation'. It is like he is completly unwilling to accept himself as a human being. But... is any part of him, truly human in the first place? If not, then perhaps he is right to speak of himself that way.

"If you were inside the tube, how could you have met him?"

"I was aware of his presence. I could hear him. He called me 'useless', and 'trash'. He is so... hate-filled."

"Was Krelian aware that you could acknowledge his presence?"

"As far as I know, yes."

And yet, still, he called the boy 'trash'? What kind of man would do that? Oh, wait... we're talking about Krelian...

"I'm sure he meant nothing of it, Ramses. Now... there are a few things you must know before going to meet him. First off, for the time being you are nothing more than a 3rd Class Citizen. Therefore, you must address Krelian as..." Kazzick sighed. "His or Your Excellency. Whichever the occasion calls for. It may sound stupid, nevertheless, it must be done. Krelian is the kind of man who demands respect, and ensures all others know of his authority. When you first enter the room, step forward, bow politely, then step back by my side. You should let me handle everything else. I will do the talking, whereas you cannot speak unless spoken to. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Let us go meet him." Kazzick turned a corner and headed for the door at the end of the hallway. Krelian's throne room.



"Sir... take a look at this," the lieutenant called out to the captain of The Crystal Water.

"What is it, Boe?" Captain Vear asked the lieutenant, looking out over the viewscreen. The question was irrelevent. What lay on the Earth before him was his answer. "My God... that's... the wreckage of a Solarian cruiser. But... how?"

"I'm not sure, sir. If the viewscreen wasn't on, we would have missed it completly. It was just luck I happened to notice it. Should I give the order to search the wreckage for survivors as well as some clue as to what ship it was?"

"Yes... we'll want that done ASAP. I'm curious as to what ship could possibly have been taken down. Solarian ships are occupied by only the best of the fleet... short of Commanders and Admirals, of course."

"Perhaps it's the Koraf? The ship went out of communications range a while ago."

"No... reports indicate the Koraf returned just recently, though I have not seen it."

"Hmmm. I haven't heard of any other missing ships... except... The Marksman. You don't think...?" Vear stepped back in shock. Captain Hedrans of The Marksman was his best friend. If something happened to him...

"Get that search party down there. I want to know what did this."



Ramses entered the room, and saw Krelian, seated on his throne like a king. He stepped forward, as he was told, and bowed in front of the man before him. Then, he stepped back into place beside Kazzick.

"I am honoured, Your Excellency," Ramses told Krelian.

Hmmm... this boy catches on quick. He would make for an excellent protegé. But I have little time for that sort of thing. Krelian will take care of him, anyhow... Krelian began to laugh. He stopped himself, then looked at Kazzick with a wide smile on his face.

"Your Excellency? What kind of nonsense have you been teaching this boy, Kazzick? He is not some -lamb- or 3rd Class Citizen. This child is my son."

"Is he... In that case, you don't seem to have to much respect for your own offspring, do you?"

"What are you implying, Kazzick?"

"I am not implying anything. I am merely stating what I have heard."

"And what have you heard?"

"I have been told you referred to this child as nothing more than 'trash'." Krelian, sat up straight, a look of shock on his face.

Well, at least he's gotten better at acting since last I saw him. That's a mild improvement, but not one I would want him to have made... Krelian removed the shock from his system, and looked at Kazzick sternly.

"Then you heard wrong. I would never speak like that to this child."

Hmph... he is trying to get on the boy's good side. I hate it when Krelian spreads such bullshit. He hates this child. I can see it in his eyes.

"Of course, my liege. Now, onto the business of fulfilling your promise. I want my answers."

"In due time. For the moment--"

"Now... Lord Krelian, if you would be so kind."

"Patience is a virtue, Kazzick. One I might even admire... but show a lack of it, and I will quickly lose my respect for you. I wish to deal with Ramses first... if that is alright with you?" He said the last part slowly, emphaizing each word in order to prove how annoyed he was.

I quickly lose my patience around you, Lord Krelian... just as quickly as you plan to dismiss my demand for answers. But I will not allow it. You will tell me what I want to know...

"Yes, Lord Krelian. I apologize for my rudeness."

"Apology accepted. As I was saying... for the moment, I wish to discuss the living conditions of the boy."

"What is there to discuss? The boy is to live with you... isn't he?"

"Though I would greatly appreciate his company, I have an empire to run, and little time to show this boy the way things work, here on Solaris. No. I planned on leaving him in your custody."

"You want me to watch over him? I am an Admiral. I have no time to babysit for you, Lord Krelian. There are duties I must perform, things that have to be done... I... you... you can't be serious!" Kazzick stepped backwards, shocked. He didn't have time for this.

"All I ask is that you take him under your wing. Teach him proper manners, and the like."

"You are asking me to be his father. I will not do it."

"I am not asking you, Kazzick. I am demanding. And you will do it. You will obey my orders, this time. I would be very displeased, otherwise... and I am getting quite tired of being displeased with you." Kazzick opened his mouth to speak, but a lieutenant at Krelian's side got there first.

"Lord Krelian, sir. Distressing news from The Crystal Water."

"The Crystal Water... that is Captain Vear's ship correct?" The lieutenant nodded. "What has happened?"

"They found the remains of The Marksman. It has been completely destroyed. There are no survivors, but no signs of casualties. They must have been destroyed in the blast."

"Demolished? But what kind of weapon could do that to a Solarian ship?"

"They are not sure, sir, but they are looking into it."

"That isn't good enough. If there is a threat to the safety of Solaris, I want to know what it is and how to put a stop to it, yesterday. Are we clear?"

"Yes, my lord."

"Good. Then make sure The Crystal Water is clear as well."

"Yes, my lord." The lieutenant left, and Krelian turned his attention back to Kazzick.

"The Marksman? But that was the ship that took me to the island in Aquavy... when was it destroyed...?" Kazzick was asking himself, more then he was, Krelian. But Krelian gave an answer nonetheless.

"It must have been shortly after you got off... we lost communication with it a while ago, but thought it to be a technical malfunction. Most distressing..." Despite Krelian's sombre attitude, Kazzick couldn't help but notice a little bit of those acting skills Krelian had shown earlier. But what place would they have here? Why would Krelian put them to use now?

"Anyhow, we should get back to the matter at hand. You will take the boy, Kazzick... train him to be a proud citizen of Solaris." Kazzick sighed. He would let Krelian have this victory.

"Very well Krelian. But only in exchange for the information I was promised. I want my answers now." Krelian looked over to Ramses. He waved his hand at the child.

"Then remove this boy from the room. Most of the answers you require are classified... not for his ears." Kazzick turned to take Ramses out, but noticed he was already on his way. He faced Krelian once more.

"Tell me about this boy. Who is he cloned from? What is his purpose?"

"I assume you know of Emporer Cain? The 'supposed' power behind Solaris? That is who."

"I see. And the other answer?"

"The boy's purpose? It is quite simple, actually. Ramses will kill Cain." Kazzick stood back in shock, but Krelian remained calm and composed.

"Ki... kill him? My god, Krelian... what... what are you planning?"

"My plans are far beyond comprehension, for you. But the God you speak of, Kazzick. You know nothing of him. Nor does anyone in this world. I will teach them the truth... I will create it... and Ramses is just a smaller piece of that final product."

"You will... create the truth? What are you talking about?"

"As I said... it is beyond comprehension. Do you have any more questions, or are we done here?" Kazzick took a few moments to regain his composure. He cleared his throat, and got ready to ask again.

"Who is Kahn? His last name is Wong... like Karen." Now it was Krelian's turn to be surprised.

"You... ran into Kahn? Ahem... um... forget it... the last name is nothing more than a coincidence. But tell me... how did you survive?"

"I... the boy stepped in. His power was spectacular."

"Indeed... I created him... and I settle for nothing less than perfection." Krelian sighed, and stretched his arms outward as he yawned. He looked at Kazzick, who staring into space. "Well... is that all?" Kazzick breathed deeply.

"For the moment. There are many more questions I would prefer be answered, but until I can figure out just how to go about asking them, you are free of me." Kazzick, without the bow of respect, expected from members of the Solarian militia, left. And then there was darkness.



***



"Lacan. You have returned. I have been expecting you."

"And I have been watching you."

"Then tell me. Tell me what you see."

"I see a pathetic man. I see a boy wearing mens clothing, and performing a adult's job. You are not ready for Solaris. You are not ready to accept the power you require."

"I never asked for your power, Lacan, and despite what you may think, I do not require it. I have made it this far, not as a boy in mens clothing, but as a god in mens clothing."

"Delusions of grandeur. You are not a god, Krelian, nor shall you ever be."

"I should not have asked your opinions. They are of no concern to me, anyhow."

"Only as long as they remain negative. You never were able to handle criticism well."

"Forget it. Let me change the subject. What are the visions? I have been forced to endure them and the puzzles they create. What does it all mean? How will Solaris crumble?"

"You have been making the wrong decisions. Ramses should not have fallen into Kazzick's care. That is the only information I can give you for now."

"NO! I WILL NOT HAVE IT!!! You will tell what they mean, Lacan. You will tell me now."

"You view yourself as some all-powerful deity. You have too much confidence in your own abilities. But your abilities are lacking. Until you realize that, you are putting yourself in a dangerous position. It will be your undoing."

"Do not assume to threaten me, Lacan."

"Hmpf... I assume nothing... Your Excellency." It didn't matter that Grafh was wearing a mask. Krelian could feel the smirk underneath. Before he could respond-- bury the smirk, and prove Lacan wrong-- there was light. And everything was once more as it should be.



***



Everything was not as it should be. Kazzick knew that much. But what was wrong? There was something nagging at the back of his mind. A question that remained unanswered. Why were the Shevatons speaking of Dazil? What were they planning? No. Everything was not as it should be. Kazzick entered Etrenank's engineering section, and headed for a control panel on the far side, ignoring everyone and everything within the room. He keyed in his recognition number (0778699), and gained access to all files an Admiral was permitted to view.

"Give me any information on the activities at Dazil for the rest of this month," he commanded of the computer. The machine whirred as it pulled up all known files, then began spitting out the requested information.

"March 18- standard gear salvage operation. Mar--" Kazzick cut it off.

"Wait. What is being salvaged? Any revolutionary gears, or something else of any importance?" The computer whirred once more.

"Standard worker gear has been located. No significance." Kazzick breathed deeply, considering.

"Nevermind. Continue with the listings."

"March 21- Mark Waltzberg Day. No significant celebrations. March 24- Ethos pick-up. March 25- First day of a standard Nisan religious celebration: Coss Turan. Fasting will last for three days afterward. End of report." Kazzick waited a moment, thinking everything through. But there didn't seem to be anything of any importance... nothing Shevat could use to it's advantage-- but then it came to him.

"What ship has been assigned to the March 24 Ethos pick-up?" Again, the computer searched its databanks.

"The Marksman was originally assigned the duty. Once communication was lost with the ship, the pick-up was reassigned to The Destroyer."

The flagship? No... they couldn't be planning to... it doesn't make any sense. Shevat doesn't have those resources... do they? Recently I've been underestimating Shevat too much. Kahn almost killed me, due to that. So let's assume they do. The flagship is our strongest and best ship. If Shevat attacked it, we would lose hundreds of men. It would decimate whatever confidence Solaris has. With power like that, no one would want to take the risk of flying beyond Solaris' territory. Krelian must be told about this. The pick-up must be stopped.



Interlude

Enclosed. He sat there, enclosed, in the middle of a dark room, on a hard, wooden chair.



Awaiting the return of his mother.

"Why are the good made to suffer? For as long as I can remember, pain was the only real feeling I experienced. What have I done wrong?"

You have done nothing wrong. You do not deserve this. This is torment. The woman you call 'mother'... can you not see that she is the devil incarnate?

"You're wrong about her. She doesn't mean harm... she changed... it isn't her fault."

So rather than blame her, you pull all the weight of the problem on yourself? Perhaps her "change" was your fault as well.

"NO! It's not my fault either! It's dad! It's HIS fault! He left us! He ignored us! He doesn't care what happens to me! He hates me... me and mom... he hates us..."

You are correct, Fei. Your father detests you. He would be glad to see you dead. But we can retaliate. Give in to me... I promise you I will make him pay.

"Please... tell me who... who you are..."

I am a part of you. I am you. The Grim Reaper has laid his mark on Kahn. Give in to me, and let me carry out his will. I feel your desires... I can fulfill them... give into me...

"Wait. Mom is coming. I'll have to bring you out again. The pain is too much. You deal with it. Then I'll think about your offer. After the pain is gone. Okay, Id?"



There was silence. And Fei was once again, no more.

End Interlude



When Captain Vear first stepped onto the burnt grass of the island below, he felt as if his heart was being ripped from his chest. He walked over to Lt. Boe, who was busy scanning the wreckage of what was once The Marksman. Suddenly, however, he became aware of the fact that his heart was indeed still within him, as it's beating slowed to a crawl.

"The burn marks on the wreckage... the shape they were left in... it all seems to indicate that these weren't regular turbolaser bolts... they were plasma turbolaser bolts," Vear noted, a hint of fear in his voice.

"I came to the same conclusion. Preliminary tests seem to indicate that as well, but I'd like to get a piece of this wreckage down to a real lab to study it. I mean... Solaris is the only nation with plasma technology. Elru doesn't even know it exists! Which can only lead us to one explanation... if this was done by plasma bolts." Lt. Boe told his superior, the same hint of fear in his own voice.

"You... you aren't suggesting this was done by one of our own, are you? What Solarian could possibly have reason to attack his own brethren?"

"Brethren? Don't you get it, sir? You can't call Solarians brethren. Half the people on Etrenank were originally land-dwellers, taken there by force from the Ethos. A group meant to be their saviors. They'd naturally feel anger towards Solaris. Almost everyone there has enough motive to put forth such an act of terrorism."

"There are over 60 million people in Solaris. 20 million of those live on Etrenank, the only place someone might find the technology necessary for this attack. How the hell are we supposed to investigate 20 million people?"

"Actually, it's possible a citizen from another part of Solaris came to Etrenank just to get their hands on the technology. In other words, we'd have to investigate all those 60-plus million people."

"If you're trying to cheer me up, Boe, it's not working."

"Sorry. I understand the amount of grief you must be feeling over the loss of Captain Hedrans. Let us just get back to the task at hand. If you don't mind, there's something I'd like to show you."

"What is it?"

"Something I've noticed, sir. It's only been a week since The Marksman's last assignment. But the wreckage is still hot from the turbolaser attack. That could only mean that the power of those bolts was incredibily strong. Enough to destroy the ship in a matter of seconds." Boe added to his report.

"Then... whatever did this was definately the aggressor."

"Exactly, sir. With that kind of power, The Marksman wouldn't dare attack first. This was no misunderstanding. Someone definitely wanted it destroyed."



Interlude

I dreamt again. It was last night. One second my eyes were closed and the next, I was somewhere completely different. But this time, I was not within my own body. Instead, I was made to watch myself... my entire life. It flashed by so quickly, but I understood it all. This was a vision. Another of the future. It was so strange, but I had a feeling of general comfort. I was with Kazzick most of the time. He took the position Krelian had turned down as my father... he made my life enjoyable... he made me happy. Never have I felt like I did in the vision. Still am I unsure as to the feeling I saw within my future self. But my life will become better... so much better... I know it will. For if my last vision was truthful... why would this one be any different?

End Interlude



Kazzick stormed into Krelian's throne room, and stared the devil right in his eyes. Krelian blinked first.

"I assume you interrupted me for a reason."

"Indeed. I have found your antagonist," Kazzick said bluntly, still staring at the man he most dispised, who governed the nation he most loved. Krelian sat up in his chair, a hint of excitement in his posture, then settled himself back down once more.

What the...? That look of shock seemed almost... forced. But what reason could Krelian possibly have to pretend to be surprised? As Krelian began to speak, Kazzick shook away his thoughts.

"Elaborate. What exactly have you found?"

"Merely connections. First, I find Shevat troops in the area surrounding Dazil, speaking as if something is being planned. Second, The Marksman is destroyed, leaving the flagship of Solaris in charge of the Ethos pick-up... our annual supply of Solarian Citizens."

"And what exactly does that have to do with anything?"

"This year, the Ethos pick-up will be in Dazil. It is my belief that Shevat is planning to attack the flagship." Krelian stared at Kazzick, a look of confusion on his face.

"Let me get this straight. What you're trying to tell me is that Shevat has somehow conjured up an entire warship capable of destroying a Solarian Cruiser? Surely, you jest. They hardly have the resources to accomplish such a task. Let alone the resources necessary to achieve plasma technology as The Crystal Water believes they have."

"Plasma technology...? But... only Solaris had..." Kazzick shook his head, and got back to the topic at hand. "Nevertheless, they have done it. I am sure of it."

"No, Kazzick, you are not. All you have done is made wild assumptions as to the plans of a small rebel group. You have no proof, no case, and thus you have severely wasted my time."

"But... Krelian, surely just the prospect is enough to postpone the pick-up. You cannot intend to still go through with it."

"You expect me not to? Over so stupid an assumption? Really Kazzick, I will not allow Solaris' tight schedule to be interrupted by an idea so fraught with absurdity."

"Even if the very safety of Solaris may be in question?"

"At the moment, Kazzick, Solaris' safety is not in question. Your sanity I am not so sure about." Kazzick stood there, and once more gazed upon the eyes of the monster. He opened his mouth, but no words came forth. About ready to admit defeat, Kazzick made one last attempt at getting to Krelian.

"This is not like you at all, Krelian. You would never take risks with your country. Your nation. What is going on?"

"You are quite correct Kazzick. I would never take risks with the safety of Solaris. That has not, nor will it ever change. Now, Admiral, if you will excuse me, there are duties I must attend... and I do believe there is a child waiting for you back home." Kazzick turned around without a word and left. And behind him, as he walked out, a smirk appeared upon Krelian's face. A smirk that did not quickly dissolve.



***



"Kazzick. I was beginning to wonder if you truly did live in this house," Ramses said, looking the man straight in his eyes.

"I often wonder that myself. I seldom come here. But... I have made you wait, and for that, I give you my most sincere apologies, child."

"No apologies are necessary. I was there when you told Krelian you did not have time for me. I understand." Kazzick sighed. He wanted to say something... something to comfort the boy, and show him that despite the example set by Krelian, most human beings are capable of showing care. But just like every so often, no words came to mind.

"Something has... come up. I'm afraid I must leave soon. Krelian has made a critical error, and I must find a way to rectify it. But I do apologize. This must take quite a toll on one so... um... young as you." Ramses laughed.

"I can see you still have some trouble getting used to my appearance. I assure you I am 12 years old." Kazzick looked at Ramses. For one so young, he was extremely mature. A rarity, indeed. But how could he talk to this boy? How could he act as father to a product of Krelian's twisted imagination?

Sigh... how I am supposed to deal with this? The boy is meant to be used to kill... nothing else. How am I supposed to live with a walking time bomb? A walking, unwitting, murderer? Ramses stared at the other, a look of confusion on his face.

"I was just... thinking. Tell me, child, has Krelian ever told you why you were created?"

"No. But I think it has something to do with that kid. Fei. Fei Fong Wong, I think."

"Hmm... well perhaps it... wait... did you just say Fei Fong Wong?"

"Yes. I believe that is his name. I'm not sure who he is, but he seemed important to Krelian."

Wong? Again. That name... constantly repeated... there is more than just coincidence at work here.

"What did Krelian say about him?"

"I don't quite remember. Just that he was important."

"How so?"

"I told you, I don't remember."

"Think Ramses. Think hard. There is something going on here, and I would like to know what it is." Ramses stood silently for a moment, delving into the depths of his mind... and nothing came.

"I... I'm sorry. I can't. I'm really sorry."

Damn...

"That is quite all right, child. But do me a favour, and keep thinking about it. If you remember something, let me know."

"Yes... I will."

"That is all I ask. Now, child," Kazzick said, as he began to walk to the door, "I'm afraid I must leave you once more."

"So soon? You just arrived."

"Only to see how you were doing. There are matters I must attend, but Krelian has made it my responsibility to see that you are comfortable, and thus, I must do so. Though I hate to leave you alone again, where I go now, what I must do, is all for the well being of Etrenank and the whole of Solaris. When I return, and all is right once more, perhaps I should take you on a tour of your new land. How does that sound?"

"Like... fun..." Ramses said, trying to sound excited, though Kazzick noted the dissapointment in the boy's voice.

"I promise you, Ramses, I will get to being your father... it will just take some time."

And a lot of getting used to...

"I have no complaints. Do what you must, Kazzick, and I will await your return with much anticipation." Kazzick smiled at Ramses, then headed for the door. When he was gone, the darkness came.



***



Ramses stood there, enshrouded in the dark. He looked around, but his eyes could not adjust in time for the panic to slow its course through his very being. He saw nothing... and he was afraid.

"Is... is someone there?"

"Doth thou desire the power?"

"What? Who... who's there? What do you want from me?"

"Power. It is sought after by so many. Krelian himself does not have it. Tell me, do you seek it? Do you hold the desires of every other man? Doth thou desire the power? I hold the seed of the glorious Mother of Destruction. I can let it blossom within you."

"Mother of Destruction? I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

"You do not feel the need? Perhaps you are not yet ready. But the events about to play out will change that. Then will you require the power. Then will you destroy Krelian, and then will you become what you were meant to be. For if the 'Contact' has not yet been born... you must become my servant. My will personified. The Slayer of God."

"Slayer... of God? I have no idea what you mean. I want no part in your plans, whoever you may be."

"Hmpf... as I said, that will change shortly. And when it does, I shall return."

The voice was gone, and with it went the dark. But Ramses was still afraid.



Kazzick walked onto The Destroyer, a suspicious look upon his face. He tried to hide it, but sabotage was not a hobby he normally pursued, and thus, fear and paranoia made their way easily into his heart. He walked over to a control panel, and checked the map of the large ship's interior.

Engineering... where is it? There... Deck 6. Running his fingers along the computer's built-in keyboard, he thought of what to ask. When it came to him, he began typing furiously. Time was of the essence.

What position must one have in order to access the engineering section?

The computer processed the question, then replied with another:

Please clarify.

Kazzick studied the words, thinking carefully. He placed his fingers back on the keyboard and typed again:

What rank must one posess in order to access the engineering section?

The computer processed the question over a total of two minutes. It replied:

Captain, Admiral, Commander, and any engineering officer. No others may enter, as information contained within is highly classified.

Kazzick smiled at the response, then typed CLS, and pressed ENTER to clear the screen before continuing onwards.

He made his way to the turbolift, and checked to ensure that no others were watching. The doors swung open, and he stepped inside.

"Deck six," he commanded of the lift, and it began moving downwards, descending towards his target. It moved silently, but when it stopped there was a loud thud that caused Kazzick's calm composure to crack. By the time the doors swung open, and Kazzick was sure the thud was nothing more than the reaction of the elevator's quick stop, he had himself composed once more, and was ready to continue his mission.

Thirty-six steps (he had counted to keep himself busy with things other than fear as he walked) and he was at Engineering. He walked up to the door, and then into it, as he forgot it would not open automatically. Stepping back and ignoring the snickering of those passing by, Kazzick turned his attention to the door's control system.

Enter recognition code, please, it read.

Kazzick typed, 0778699.

The computer whirred (a sound Kazzick was getting quite sick of) as it processed his code. Finally, it finished and wrote up the words, Thank you, Admiral Siruan Kazzick. You are granted permission to enter the engineering section. Please enjoy your stay aboard the Destroyer. And with that, the engineering doors swung open.

Kazzick stepped inside, and within he found crewmen working busily at their posts. No one noticed him, just as he had hoped, as he walked over to the thruster control panel. Looking around quickly, to ensure no one was watching, Kazzick pulled a small device from his pocket. He moved it up to his lips, and whispered into a small microphone barely visible on it's surface.

"Cloak." With that command, the device seemingly disappeared into thin air. He placed it under the thruster controls and it stuck to the underside of the panel. A small, unnoticeable electric current ran through the controls and, though the panel would report otherwise, the thrusters, and thus, the entire mobility of The Destroyer, had been shut down. If Shevat was indeed planning an attack, as Kazzick's farfetched theory surmised, it would not work out quite as well as they had hoped.

Kazzick walked out of engineering quickly, yet quietly avoiding the eyes and ears of those around him.

And as he made his way off of The Destroyer, only one thought remained in his mind. If I'm wrong about this, Krelian will be quite displeased. But what if I'm right?



Kazzick made his way to Krelian's throne room, feeling fearful. Why had Krelian called him down? Had he discovered what Kazzick had done aboard The Destroyer yesterday? Or was he just wondering how Ramses was doing? And if so, what would he say? When Kazzick returned home last night, Ramses was fast asleep on the floor of the living room. Kazzick did not feel it necessary to wake the boy, so he merely carried Ramses to his bed (an extremely difficult process, given that Ramses had the body of a twenty year-old). He did not yet ask why or even how he had managed to fall asleep on the floor. If Krelian was wondering about Ramses, should he mention that incident?

Kazzick pondered this and other possibilities as he made it to the doorway of Krelian's throne room. He took a deep breath and then stepped forward, walking into the room as the doors slid open for him. And inside was Krelian, seated before Ramses.

"Ramses? What are you doing here?" Kazzick asked, obviously surprised, since he had left the child asleep back at home.

"He heard you were on your way here. He came looking for you, but arrived a little earlier," Krelian responded. "Apparently, something happened to him last night."

"What?" Kazzick turned to Ramses, who maintained his silence.

"He is not sure."

"He... doesn't know what happened?"

"No. But whatever it was, it scared him a great deal."

"Ramses, tell me what you do know." The boy looked at him, his face filled with fear.

"I... I was contacted... by someone. N... not sure who... but his power was immense. He was... evil." Ramses said, and his fear became more apparent.

"Evil? How can you tell?"

"When he spoke, it was a thundering sound. When he appeared, the lights went out. And his intention was anything but noble. He claimed he wanted to use me as some... Slayer of God."

No... Lacan? Krelian thought. Of course... I have kept Fei's existence hidden from him until now. If he thinks the Contact has not been born, then his only choice is to settle for Ramses. The false 'Contact'.

"Slayer of God? Are you sure? Were those his exact words?" Krelian demanded of the child.

"Yes, I am positive."

"Why, Krelian? Do you know something about this?" Kazzick questioned.

"No. No I do not. The term was just... distressing." Krelian glanced at his watch. "Oh, my. It seems I have ignored the very reason I called you here. The Ethos pick-up is about to commence." He twirled his chair until he was facing the viewscreen. "On screen," he commanded. "We are about to see just how foolish you are, Kazzick."

Something about Krelian's tone... the way he sounded... almost like this was important. But if he is so sure that he is right... then how can making a fool of me seem so vital to him? Unless something else is going on. But, what? What is Krelian up to?

The viewscreen turned on, and there was an image of Dazil. Krelian waited awhile, then spoke. "The ship should arrive in one minute, Kazzick. And I see no sign of Shevat's militia."

"What is going on Krelian? Why did you really call me down here?" Fear. Kazzick felt fear. But why? Where was it coming from? It felt like a premonition. Something was about to happen. Krelian was plotting something, and he wanted to know what.

Krelian turned to face Kazzick, and smirked. "Today, it ends. This is a bold step towards achieving my ultimate goal. Today, I remove a major thorn from my side."

WHAT? What the hell is Krelian talking about... he can't mean... me? He's planning to kill me? Panic. It replaced the fear and it showed in Kazzick's expression. Krelian's smile merely widened because of it.

And suddenly, on the viewscreen, a huge ship decloaked. A ship of unbelievable size, and power.

"The antagonist," Krelian said, and his smirk broadened. He was not hiding anything anymore. He knew.

"SIR! A huge ship has just decloaked in front of Dazil. Call back The Destroyer! It'll be crushed!" The report came from an obviously shocked spy in Dazil.

That insignia... it's Shevat's. But... that is Solaris' ship! The Koraf! It was meant to replace The Destroyer as Solaris' flagship soon. It went out of communications range awhile ago, but was reported to have returned. Why does Shevat have control of a Solarian warship?

"I wouldn't worry about that, lieutenant. I have a feeling The Destroyer never left dock." He knew. He knew Kazzick had sabotaged the ship. Perhaps even... expected it? Kazzick's panic grew.

"Krelian... I demand to know what is going on."

"You sabotaged our flagship. You kept it from completing its mission."

"I saved the lives of countless people. If you wished to thank me--"

"THANK YOU?" Krelian interrupted. "You seem to misunderstand the way things work in our society. Traitors do not recieve gratitude."

Traitors? That son of bitch! I saved those lives, and he's going to kill me for it?

"I am only disappointed this had to be done in front of the boy," Krelian said, motioning with his head to Ramses. "I did not expect his company."

"Kazzick, what is going on? What is Krelian saying you have done?" Ramses asked, but Kazzick was preoccupied. He was busy staring at Krelian.

"You cannot be serious. I SAVED THOSE LIVES!"

"You attacked a Solarian ship."

"I sabotaged the ship, an effect that is meant to wear off in a matter of days. If Shevat had attacked us instead, if it had destroyed the flagship, it would be a major blow against Solaris. Far worse than what I have done."

"So you make yourself out to be a hero? How truly pathetic. Guards! Arrest this man." Three guards stepped forward, weapons armed and aimed at Kazzick. They held him, but he refused to move.

"Krelian! What are you doing to him? Stop this!" Ramses pleaded. Krelian wasn't listening.

"What is going on Krelian? Why are you really doing this?" Krelian smiled.

"You wish to know the truth? Given that you will soon be nothing more than a corpse, I suppose telling you wouldn't hurt. Guards, bring him before me." The guards threw Kazzick in front of Krelian and formed a wall behind him, to ensure that escape was not possible. Krelian leaned forward in his chair and looked down upon Kazzick, who was on one knee.

"I hold more power than the Gazel Ministry could ever imagine. For the moment, however, it serves my purposes better to allow them to believe they are in control. Therefore, I must abide by their judgement. Soon, the Gazel Ministry will bring up the matter of the M-Project once more. It must pass. But they no doubt plan to ask your opinion on the matter, so I formulated a plan to have you killed.

"I knew Shevat troops would be in Blackwood Forest that night. I placed you in specific areas, so as to ensure you would come to the conclusion you have. The plan may have been farfetched, but I had precious little time in which to devise it."

"I... don't get it. How did you know what Shevat was planning?"

"Don't you see, Kazzick? It was I who allowed Shevat to gain control of the Koraf, and it was I who allowed them to achieve plasma technology. I even fitted Kahn with the plan to attack The Destroyer. Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design."

"All this to rid yourself of me? Why so elaborate a plan? Why not just shoot me?"

"An assassination would arouse suspicions and investingations. If I were to tell the Gazel Ministry, however, that I felt what you did was treacherous, they might be displeased, but nothing more. It was the only way. The M Project is vital to my plans."

"Good lord, Krelian, the M Project is nothing more than an organized mass murder. You haven't the right to do this! You can't kill that many people, just because of your insane vision!"

"Everything I do is necessary for the betterment of mankind."

"Everything you do works towards the destruction of mankind! All those deaths... how can you pretend to excuse it? How can you justify genocide?"

"Take a good look around you, Kazzick. The people here bow to me. They worship me. That is how I can justify it. Because here I am god." Kazzick stared hard into the eyes of the man before him; the monster. He stood up and wiped the wrinkles out of his clothing.

"Your vision; the world you would have us live in... I am glad I will not be a part of it. You, Krelian, are insane."

"And you, Kazzick, are a dead man." Ramses ran up to Kazzick's side. Kazzick turned his face and looked into the boy's eyes.

"Don't worry, Ramses. It'll be all right. Krelian will find another man to be your father. To do his dirty work; a loyalist, most likely. I am sorry I must leave you, once again, so soon."

"No! Kazzick, you can't die! He can't do this to you! Krelian!" Ramses turned to face Solaris' ruler. "Stop this, now!"

"Step away from him, boy. Do not let him taint you with his message of sedition."

"Krelian, no!" Ramses pleaded, his eyes filling with water.

Why is he so persistent? Why does he wish to be with Kazzick so much? Ah, forget it. I have never allowed foolish human sentiment get in the way of my duties.

"Guards: remove this traitor from my presence. And see to it that he has a quick death." Krelian smirked.

"Laugh all you wish, Krelian, but when the time comes, you too will die, and then, I shall enjoy watching you burn in hell."

"I shall miss you, too, Kazzick." Krelian's smile widened as Kazzick stared bitterly at him. He turned around, walked peacefully towards the guards, and marched out of Krelian's throne room, towards his death. Ramses wiped away at his eyes, and turned to look at Krelian, who stared back with a confused expression.

"Return to your quarters, at Kazzick's place. I shall call for you later, and we will discuss last night's... incident. Now leave, boy." Ramses ran out of the room, tears streaming from his eyes. His vision... everything he saw. Krelian had just taken it all from him. Kazzick was dead, and in effect, so was Ramses' future.



Interlude

Once, I was happy. I stood there with Kazzick, and we were both happy. Everything was perfect. And now it's gone. My life, taken from me. My future, decimated. It never really happened, though, did it? I was never with Kazzick. I was never happy. And the one chance I got at achieving this dream, this seemingly unattainable goal, is now gone. Krelian has taken it from me. With but a single command he has ruined my life. He has taken everything from me. And so, I shall take everything from him.

End Interlude



Something wasn't right. He thought he knew what was going on, but suddenly it didn't seem to make sense.

If he's after me, then why is he taking the longer route? With all the power he's proven himself to have... why doesn't he just come after me? Why take the ventilation system through sector 5... unless... Krelian's face filled with panic.

"No... he wouldn't..." Krelian ran over to the control panel and keyed something in. "I want a blueprint of sectors 3-8. NOW!" His men scrambled, pulling up the file and sending it over to the computer console Krelian was working on. He got the file, opened it and stared at it for a few moments. Moving away from the panel, Krelian stood in front of his men, a blank expression on his face. He looked around at the others, but they were silent.

"Sir?" a concerned lieutenant asked, breaking through the silence. They looked at Krelian, and it appeared as if he knew something. Something he didn't understand before, but was now clear to him.

"No... this was never his intended destination. It's just like in the vision... I'm not his target. He's after..."



***



Krelian woke up.

"Lights on," he demanded of the computer. But nothing happened.

"It is near. You have made your last mistake. Your time is up."

"Lacan? What are you doing here? What's going on?"

"Your empire will fall. Solaris will crumble, and you along with it." Suddenly, the lights came back on and Krelian was alone. And on the ground, lay a picture of Solaris that Krelian kept hung against the wall, painted by a great artist he once knew, when this nation was still his enemy. The frame was cracked.



End of Chapter Two