Tournament-Second Set Rounds







Bart glanced about him as he spiraled upwards in the citadel. Ever since he had surfaced from the waterworks below the castle, it had been one rough encounter with the guards after the other, although moat of the ones he ran up against so far didn't pose much of a threat.

Grr...if only they had told me where exactly in here she is, I might not be having this mess! This place is bigger than I remembered...where could Margie be? he thought as he went up another set of stairs and began looking around.

"How's Fei doing, I wonder...the people in the cafeteria were talking about a pair of people...some Wandering Youth and Dancing Firebird...And Aireel better not be doing something dumb or I'll never hear the end of it," he said out loud, "Especially from Citan."

He heard someone walking towards him and sighed, knowing what was coming next and said, "Here we go again..."

******

Aireel looked up at the sky, standing against the fence where she was before, and said in a low voice, "I wonder how that pirate boy's doing."

"Aireel, why do you call the young one 'pirate boy'?"

She winced and looked to her left, saying, "Hyu, he's a pirate, isn't he?"

"Well, yes..."

"And he's a kid, right?"

Citan harumphed at this and said, "Ah, well...he is eighteen and we are quite a bit older than he is, but still--"

"To me, he's still a wet-behind-the-ears kid that fancies himself as some Captain Hook..."

He looked at her strangely and asked, "Captain Hook? I have never heard of that...."

"Back in my hometown, they recently found some stuff from an ancient civilization near where the Kislev Empire's lands used to be at. One of the things found was a strangely well preserved book called 'Peter Pan'..."

He nodded a bit distantly at this, though he still didn't understand the reference and asked, "Are you certain you are all right now? I mean, from Miang..."

She nodded, although she suddenly seemed a bit old and tired...a combination that worried him a bit.

Before he even realized what he was doing, Citan quickly held Aireel in a close embrace, just as she had done in Bart's Lair.

"I will not let Miang or Krelian even try to get their hands on you. They are not going to hurt you again," he said in a low voice.

"I'll be okay, really. You're really sweet though, you know?" she asked with a little smile, then laughed as he turned red.

Before he could reply, the announcer announced, "There will be four semi-final matches and the winners of the first two matches will face each other in the third. For the first quarter-final match, we have the Wandering Youth against Scud!"

"That's the one I saw in the registration book," she muttered, "Looks like a little school kid. Are you sure he or she's not an adult dwarf?"

"I have wondered that often myself. I do not know if anyone will ever know, to be honest."

"Do the people in Lahan know what kind of kidder you are?" she asked with a soft laugh.

"No, nobody does, actually, except for you...and maybe Fei."

"Poor kid," she said as she watched the fight begin between Fei and the smart-looking girl, "He's got amnesia...but then again, in a way, so do you."

"Aireel...there is something you should know about Fei, as well as about me...but we cannot discuss it here, where Gebler soldiers may be listening."

She nodded, "I understand. We'll talk about it later, okay?"

"Of course."

Beside them, some spectators started saying, "Look at those two...they make a great couple, don't you think?"

"Which two?"

"Dancing Firebird and that guy in green."

Those comments made both of them remember that they were still holding each other and they let go, both a bit embarrassed.

A second later, a strong wave of dizziness hit him, sending him to the ground as an image appeared in his head...

******

He was in Bledavik's castle courtyard with many people surrounding a large square ring. It had been one year since the city had been made by the giants and the king had come up with a way of celebrating the year of the founding...with a brawling tournament.

In the ring currently was one of the guards in training and a young, tall woman with dark red hair...a woman that always made him smile when he saw her.

"Hey, Tian," a young man with dark hair said, "Isn't that Cera?"

"Yes, it is," he replied.

"Oh, man, I knew it was her! I mean, I was there at the wedding right after the city was constructed. I didn't know she could fight."

"But of course. Rene taught her how before the major conflict between the two aerial cities began," he replied to the young man.

"Rene? As in Roni's brother?"

"The same."

"Man, I didn't know he liked her skills that much. But, you're lucky, Tian. Wish I had a woman like her..."

******

"Hey, Citan? Are you okay?" Aireel asked, worried as she helped him up.

The doctor blinked and looked at her, puzzled.

"A-Aireel? Is something wrong?"

"You tell me. You suddenly fell as if you got dizzy or something."

"I think I am all right now. How long was I...?"

"A few minutes. The match between Fei and Scud's just about over."

He nodded and saw Fei delivering the final blow to the strange, smug being, sending him/her backwards.

Much more of the crowd cheered that time as Fei was declared the winner of the match.

"Next up is the Dancing Firebird versus Jameson," the announcer said, causing Aireel to grimace and mutter, "Two from Kislev...and this one is from my batallion. What is going on?"

"Excuse me? Aireel, do you know him?" Citan asked, although he caught the part, " this one is from my battalion."

"An old schoolmate," she replied, thinking, Not exactly a lie...we did attend the military training together, but I can't tell Hyuga the whole truth just yet.

"This should be interesting...you had the same expression on your face when that Banderman fellow was announced. All the same, good luck," he said to her with a small smile.

"Thanks," she said and walked towards the ring when she saw Fei and motioned to him.

"Hey, Fei...do me a favor during this match and keep an eye on Hyu--I mean Citan," she quickly said.

"What happened?"

"He had a flashback wave that toppled him. If another one hits while I'm up there--" she said.

"I don't understand what you mean, but okay. I'll watch over him."

"Thanks, Fei," she replied and got into the ring, bowing respectfully to the judges.

That was stupid of me...Fei doesn't know his real name or anything and I nearly blurted it out. What if Hyuga was on some sort of mission himself?

******

When the gong rang to begin the match, the two immediately went into the center of the ring.

"Just how many of you are out here?" Aireel asked while delivering a punch.

"Only Banderman and myself, ma'am," the tall young man with brown hair replied, "But for different reasons."

"What do you mean?"

"I had a feeling you'd be here. Unlike Banderman, I'm not here on orders. To tell you the truth...I've resigned from the military and came here to find the Aveh pirates," he replied a bit sheepishly as he dodged a second punch, "I had no idea that you had joined them."

"How did you know that?" she asked, executing a sweeping kick, which he avoided easily, "You've trained well, Jameson."

"I had you for a good teacher," he replied, "I heard things around here...especially about the break-in at the pirate's lair and how the Striker was fighting them off."

"I see father trained you well in reconnisance," she replied with a slightly proud tone as she threw a punch to the chest, which connected, sending him back a little bit, "Why did you resign your comission?"

"I don't like this insane war any more than you do, Commander, and I figured the best way to end the war between our two countries was to join the pirates and place the true king of Aveh back on the throne."

"Jameson, for one thing, don't call me Commander, nobody here knows that I'm in the military. Call me Aireel and certainly don't use that other nickname, do you hear me?"

"Yes...Aireel," he said, executing a sweep kick of his own, which she sidestepped quickly and countered.

"After this bout, I'll introduce you to at least two of the band's members and I'll tell Bart about you, but I'm sure he'd welcome a new member," she told him, "Now, let's let this bout be a test between student and teacher. Let's see how well you've trained."

"Of course, Aireel," the young man replied, then concentrated on the bout.

******

Fei and Citan watched Aireel's fight from the side of the spectator's row that was closest to the ring itself.

"Is it just me or are those two's fighting styles the same?" the younger of the two asked.

"They seem that way to me, too. What I am concerned about was something she said. I heard her mutter something about that young man having being in her battalion."

"Doc, you remember the story Bart and the others told us about three years back. She was in the military then but she obviously isn't now."

"Except for one thing, Fei. She did not say that he was in her batallion...she said that he is in it..." Citan shook his head and said, "I may just be a bit paranoid."

A couple of minutes later, Aireel used a flurry of punches that sent her opponent to the floor, knocking him out.

"The winner of the second match of the quarter-finals is the Dancing Firebird!"

The people in the Spectator's section stood and cheered except for a small bunch that grumbled and threw down betting tickets.

"I don't believe it, doc. She's already proven to be very strong and some people are still betting against her," Fei remarked as Aireel helped Jameson up.

"People tend to think that some wins are merely flukes or that someone better will stop the winning streak," was the reply, "I do believe Aireel and that young man are headed towards us."

The younger of the two nodded, seeing Aireel and the man she fought against walking in their direction. When they stood in front of Citan, Aireel grinned and said, "Don't be nervous, now."

"Do you know this young man?" the doctor asked.

"Gentlemen, this is Matt Jameson. He's from my home town, Nortune...and he wants to join us."

Fei looked at him oddly and asked, "Nortune? Isn't that in Kislev? And how do you know this man isn't a spy?"

"Come--Aireel knew you might be suspicious, so I'll explain. Aireel and I once served in Kislev army's 4th Batallion three years ago, and I was on Aireel's ship when we ran into the deposed prince of Aveh. I for one am sick and tired of the war between Aveh and Kislev...so I resigned my commission. When I got here, I heard all about Gebler's breaking into a hideout and that Aireel's more standardized Gear, Striker, was helping the pirates fight them off."

"We will let the young one decide, but I believe he would say that any friend of Aireel's is a friend of ours. I am Citan," he replied, "And this is Fei. I hope I am not prying, but I noticed your fighting style is similar to hers."

"Yeah, well," she started to say.

"She taught self-defense and martial arts classes to us. I was one of Aireel's students."

"Oh, I see," Fei said, "Wait a minute, her more standardized Gear?"

"Ouch...I let the cat out of the bag, didn't I...well, if I may, Aireel?" Jameson turned to her and asked.

She sighed and nodded.

"Whenever she's tried to manage normal Gears, they tend to be extremely incompatible in terms of strength and speed. Half of them blow up after one use or they simply go out of control."

"Like Heimdal did with other pilots, but in reverse..." Aireel said quietly.

"I don't know about that, but if you say so...anyway, the only option was to construct one that suited her more...which led to Striker's construction. A few months later, we unearthed a Gear that was compatible only with her..."

"What was this Gear?" Citan asked.

"Sorry but that's classified, even to you guys."

The two other men nodded quietly at this and the doctor said, "It looks like both Aireel and Fei will go on to the semi-finals."

"Something tells me she didn't tell you about this ahead of time," Matt guessed.

"You would be right. We did not know until her first match."

The young man gaped at Aireel and shook his head, saying, "You did it again..."

"Enough of that, Matt. Hyu, can we talk over there, please?" Aireel asked, then grimaced as she realized just what she said.

Everyone except Citan looked at her strangely.

"What? It's just my pet name for him," she explained.

The other nodded and Citan walked with her into a different direction. Behind them, a new match started.

******

"Is something wrong?" he asked her a short distance away.

"You could say that. On the way to this city, I heard Bart and Fei talking about something really weird that happened in that cave they sank to."

***

Aireel had been walking to the Gun Room to see Maison when she heard talking going on below her.

"I tell ya, that battle was still one of the harriest I've ever seen! There we were, with Calamity throwing missles and flying punches at us from left and right! That ol' man Bal was nuts, sending that thing after us." the young pirate said.

"I don't know if he did," Fei replied, "But I do rmemeber we thought that the Gear was scrap metal, but after a few minutes the thing revived and attacked again."

"And did it ever! But I still wonder what that weird technique was you suddenly used on it."

"I told you, Bart, I don't know where that came from. I had never used it before in my life."

"Have you told Citan about this?"

"No. If I had, you could bet he'd get upset and try to cover it up with something or another. Another reason why I didn't tell him about meeting ol' man Bal, but that bothers me, too."

"Yeah...what's all this about you being the slayer of God...?"

Aireel's eyes widened and she took off from the Gun Room.

***

Citan's eyes narrowed as he listened to Aireel's story.

"Are you sure that is what you heard? About the technique and this man they called Bal?" he asked her.

"I have a very good memory," she replied, "I tend to remember things even if I don't want to. Hyuga...what is going on here? I don't think you're just along for the ride, you were with Fei in Dazil for a reason other than to find me or to fix Weltall."

He shuddered and said in a low voice, "Aireel...as soon as this Tournament is over, take your Gear and go back to Kislev as fast as you can."

If it were anyone but her that heard that...

"Why?"

"This is a very dangerous thing you listened in on and staying with me and the pirates is equally dangerous. If you value your life, leave."

"I can take care of myself just fine, Citan. I'm not about to run off because of some little dangerous thing. I've made my living off of danger for years."

Before he could stop it, something within, something dark arose, causing him to say, "This is so typical of you! This is no game that is going on here, one where little pests can easily get squashed!"

Her jaw dropped for a minute and she said, furious, "How dare you say that! Unlike some around here, I have earned my keep, not being a pest."

"You can give the others the innocent, vigilant soldier cover all you want, woman, but I know you much better than that. All you are is a no good, evil, deceiving pest."

******

Miang's eyes glowed eerily as she watched the argument that was changing into a fight down on the courtyard.

So far so good...the seed planted into him so long ago is starting to grow. I should think that it will thoroughly take care of the threat to Solaris, she thought, Krelian, what you did may have been for personal reasons, but it's working beautifully now...

"Is something wrong, Miang?" Shakhan asked.

"No, nothing at all."

******

Aireel's eyes went wide at Citan's harsh remark and said, "I...I know this isn't another memory flashback, but what's gotten into you? Citan, whatever's wrong, tell me!"

"Why would I talk to a traitorous pest?" he sneered and walked away, disappearing into the crowd.

"B-blast it...what's happened to him?" she muttered and sat down, finding that she was shaking.

"Hey...you okay, Aireel?" she heard someone beside her ask.

"I don't know, Fei, she looks really upset. In the Batallion, she normally didn't show it when something upset her, but there was a way to tell."

"How, Matt?"

"She'd touch an amber pendant she always wore and still does..then she'd seem like she was zoning out...like she's doing now."

"I see...and for that matter, where's doc?" Fei asked.

A woman came up to them and said, "If you mean the man in green, he and that lady got into a fight. He said some really bad things to her then walked off."

Matt nodded and thought, She called him "Hyu"...could it possibly be the same man named Hyuga from the Commander's childhood that was told about to the entire Angel Squad? If so, they'd have no reason to fight like this unless something happened to him within these 20 years...

"If that's the case, Citan will regret this," Matt said in a normal voice then added quietly so Fei wouldn't hear, "Commander...Commander Belsanas. We still have the mission to assist in the rescue the Great Mother."

She blinked for a minute and said, "Yes....the Great Mother. You're quite right, Matt. Regardless, the mission must be carried out."

Fei asked, puzzled, "What did you say to her?"

"Something that usually helps snap her out of it. Don't worry, she'll be okay," the young man replied as the crowd cheered, signaling the end of another match.

"My match isn't for a while," Fei said, "I'm gonna look for doc."

"I'll let you know when your match comes up," Matt said and watched as the strange young man walked off.

"Aireel, this Citan guy...I heard you call him 'Hyu'. Is that the same one--"

"Yes," she said, though it came out as a sigh, "It is."

"What happened to him?"

"I don't know. At first, although the face was unreadable, I could see in his eyes that he was...scared. Then, he just...as if a light had been switched on."

"Hmm...well, Fei's gone looking for him. Your next match is in a short while so you should get ready."

******

Citan looked back towards the fighting ring for a moment, sighing sadly. Aireel was nowhere to be seen and neither was Fei or Matt.

That dark nature...frightening, he thought, I could not control what I was saying or anything. I wanted to tell Aireel that I was scared that she would die by staying with me...but Whatever it was would not let me say it...as if I was pushed aside somewhere. I can feel it controlling me somewhat still...but now, I cannot go back, or find her...even if I tried to will what I feel, it will not even let me cry or tell her that I'm sorry...

Amidst this, another thought suddenly appeared in his mind.

I need her.

"Hey, doc! Finally found you. What were you two fighting about this time?"

The dark control subsided as he heard this and he turned to Fei.

"Ah...Fei, fancy seeing you here."

"No dice. Citan, we all heard you two and so did some others. Now Aireel's very upset about something and it took Matt to snap her out of it. What's going on?"

He sighed, hoping that Fei wouldn't see anything wrong with him, and said, "I...I simply told her to go back to Kislev after the Tournament. She told me something very...disturbing that she overheard."

"Hoo boy...I take it she refused."

"She did."

"That was no reason to say those mean things to her, doc," Fei continued, "A few of the spectators told me what you said to her...but why do you want her to leave?"

The doctor sighed and said, "If I tell you, do not tell anyone else, especially Aireel."

"Okay..."

As Fei looked at him, he saw something very unusual...that is, unusual for him.

Citan was very scared and at the same time his eyes were shining.

"I...have been having horrible nightmares since we were found by the young one's ship."

"What kind?"

He cleared his throat and said, "I do not remember some of the details, but I do remember that each time, we leave Bledavik together and soon afterwards....every time, she dies by either your hand or mine..."

"Between those nightmares and Aireel risking her neck every time we turn around...no wonder you're a nervous wreck. But that doesn't explain what you said to her, doc."

"That I can not explain, I am afraid."

Perfect...perfect. Now get this little kid distracted so you can continue, a cold voice said/thought.

That was not necessary as a sudden noise from the ring caused Fei to turn from Citan.

Fei, tell Aireel I am sorry! Please... he thought but he could not voice it and walked away, disappearing into the crowds again.

Matt saw Fei come back to the area alone with a very confused look on his face.

"Did you find Citan?" he asked.

"Yeah and he was a mental mess when I did."

"And? What did he say?"

"Believe me, Matt, you don't want to know."

Matt nodded and said, "Aireel's match will be starting before yours this time."

"Any idea who she's up against?"

"Yeah. It's..." he whispered the name to Fei.

The younger man laughed and said, "That should cheer her up a bit. But poor Big Joe! From losing to me to winning the loser's bracket to facing Aireel!"

Matt nodded and said in the best imitation of Aireel he could muster, "Someone needs to shut up that loudmouth nutcase."

"Who's callin' me a loudmouth nutcase?"

A voice behind them asked in a surly manner.

They turned to find Big Joe standing behind them.

"We were imitating a friend of ours," Matt replied smoothly.

"Hmph. Whatever. Just keep your traps shut if you know what's good for you."

"That was close," Fei said as the "loudmouth" left.

"Yeah."

An announcement at the ring brought their attention back in that direction and they found that Aireel was already inside.