Chapter Eight:

 

" A single song,

A single wish,

A single hope,

A single love... "

 

She drifted weightless, unfettered in silent darkness. Though her eyes were opened, they saw nothing but an endless black horizon. She might have felt a sense of fear but she was strangely at peace with the ebony darkness. There was nothing oppressive about shadowy domain she floated in. Unburdened, she reveled in sensation as her soul soared free.

She was a bird without wings, flying through a world without light. Taking flight to an unknown destination, she moved on adamantly. Deep in her heart, she knew she was searching, seeking for something. She had no words to define what it was but instinct told her she would understand once she found it.

Tireless, she flew on, searching.

Searching for…

Love…


Someone was singing.

It was a bittersweet song full of yearning. The melancholic lyrics entwined with a sorrowful melody were so heartbreaking to hear that a listener could not help but sigh in compassion. The unseen singer did justice to the song; his silvery baritone voice was rich with the emotions that it conveyed bringing to life the tale of lovers separated by fate. His song touched her soul and brought her awake.

Reya gingerly opened her eyes and was struck dumb by the sight before her. The sun was beginning to set in the horizon. The globe blazed with the eternal fire of life, turning everything it touched into the color of molten flame. The wind whispered through the tall grass painted copper by the sun like a counter melody to the song. Reya had never seen anything more beautiful then the scene before her. The natural splendor touched her in a way that she had not thought it would. A soft sigh escaped her lips and at that quiet sound, the song abruptly broke off. Belatedly, Reya realized that she was watching the world before her in a curious tilted position.

Turning her body slightly to lift disconcerted eyes, she glazed deep into laughing blue orbs. Still a little hazy, it took her a moment before her thoughts caught up with her present situation. Reya was lying on her side with her head resting on Sigurd’s thigh. He could not contain his amusement when she bolted upright, a becoming flush spreading across her cheeks.

" Are you blushing, Reya? " Sigurd could not keep a grin off his face.

" It’s not everyday that I find myself waking up across a man’s thighs. "

Her reply was a little heated, telling evidence of her embarrassment. Not willing to look at him, Reya turned her attention to their surroundings. They were beneath a lone giant tree in the middle of a vast grassy plain. The tree was old, thick gnarled roots the size of grown men protruded from the ground in their quest to reach for the cloudless skies. The thick canopy of interwoven branches was so dense that barely a sliver of sunlight shone its way through. Getting to her feet, Reya was about to take a step when she suddenly faltered as a sharp burst of pain stabbed her between the eyes.

" Urgh! " Falling to her knees, Reya pressed a hand against her head trying to keep the pain at bay.

" Reya! "

All trace of playfulness was replaced by concern as Sigurd braced her body with his own. Easing her to lie down again, he placed his hands against her temples and slowly kneaded, using gentle pressure to assuage the tension. Reya was in obvious agony, her eyes tightly closed against the pain yet never once did she muttered a sound. No a cry, whimper or mewl, she bore it all stoically. Gradually, her body started to relax as the pain faded, her breathing settling into a more regular rhythm. Sigurd continued to massage the sides of her head, firstly to reduce the strain that still lurked beneath her seemingly relaxed surface and secondary because he liked the feel of her skin beneath his hands.

" I’m sorry… " She whispered the apology.

" Why? "

" I… I almost screwed up the whole exercise… " Self-reproach was her reply.

" You are not well, Reya. You shouldn’t even be here today. You could have been seriously injured when I attacked you and I’ll never be able to forgive myself if that happened. "

" … "

" I… I never thought I would ever say this… to a woman but… I… I care about you, Reya… " The hesitant confession was clouded with a hint of puzzlement as if he had suddenly discovered the answer to a question he did not even understand.

Something hidden deep within her came alive at his words. The icy walls that she had built around her heart to guard and to keep her feelings frozen, thawed at Sigurd’s quiet sincerity. A single tear escaped, streaking a path down to his hand. Sigurd stilled as he felt the drop of moisture.

" Reya…? "

She could not speak; it was too foreign to her. Her emotions were raw and overwhelmed. Reya had been raised to be analytical, to use her head not her heart when confronted with any circumstance but she had never been trained to deal with a man who responded this way. She glanced at him once through eyes that shimmered like brilliant emeralds beneath the watery pool of the tears that she had not shed. Reya shuttered them quickly, as if afraid that too much of her soul had been revealed in that scant instant.

But she was not quick enough. Sigurd caught the fleeting emotions that flashed across the brilliant green mirrors of her eyes. He knew she was an adept at suppressing her feelings and while she could hide from his eyes, his empathy was her undoing. Bending down, he rested his brow against hers even as he gathered her close. Perhaps it was too soon to expect her trust but he found himself willing to risk it all because he knew it would probably be one of the most priceless gift he could ever receive. His lips gently kissed her closed eyes, tasting the remnants of her single tear.

Reya did not speak; afraid that even a single word would shattered the fragile atmosphere that surrounded the two of them. She felt his lips touched her skin and it burned her but it was a gentle fire that blazed away the darkness that was her soul's only companion. Instinctively her hand reached out for his and he grasped it, entwining their fingers. Between them, their clasped hands became a silent fragile promise of hope against the midnight azure of twilight.

 


It took her almost a week of rest before Reya fully overcame the last lingering traces of her reaction. It was a small blessing that she had at least managed to get Imarla's AR system restored so Krelian had no further demands on her…yet. If he knew that she had almost been hurt, there were no indications at all.

So what if he knew…

Would he even care?

She long knew the answer to her own unspoken question but the little glow of hope that she had carried from childhood refused to die. It was a small dim glow but it continued to glimmer nonetheless. The old Reya would have buried this incident within herself as another disappointment to him but things were different now. She had Sigurd and somehow with him, it was enough.

Sigurd had almost worried himself to death when he had brought her back. According to her sister, she had looked as white as a week old corpse. Reya had lapsed into such a deep state of sleep that was almost uncanny. If not for the slightest traces of her breathing, they would have thought that she was dead. Igraine having witnessed the first time she had gone into a reaction spasm; knew that she was in a self-recovery state and had merely whisked her off to bed.

" You're up! Feeling better today? " The bright happy voice interrupted her thoughts.

Igraine burst into her room like a beam of pure sunlight. There was always something about her sister that chased the shadows away. Reya opened her arms to the young woman as Igraine threw herself forward to hug Reya. The warmth of her sister's embrace made Reya smile in spite of herself. Igraine's eyes were a little wet when she finally released her sister to sit on the bed.

" Did you know that Sigurd has been sitting by your side, holding your hand throughout? Kahr and Hyuga had to practically drag him away to get some rest. "

Reya's dark raven head looked up in surprise and Igraine grinned at the faint dawn-tinted roses that bloomed in her cheeks. Staring at her hand, Reya could easily imagine Sigurd right beside her and that very hand cradled in his against his cheek.

" Graine, you must be kidding. I have no impressions of him being here at all. "

" Of course you can't remember, you ninny! You're practically dead to the world all the time. But he was right there and that is something I never thought that I would ever see him do, acting like a lovesick boyfriend. All the girls at Jugend must be killing themselves en mass now that it's official that our bad boy's got his heart stolen." Igraine fairly hummed with amusement as she rummaged about the basket she brought along with her.

" Official? "

" Well… it's not exactly a secret that you two are pretty much alone after the exercise and I mean people are not blind. They must have seen him coming here early and leaving late countless of times. Now be a good girl and finish this nice stew up. I cooked it especially for you. "

Pushing a bowl of the savory food into her sister's hands, Igraine pulled up a chair and planted herself in it with a cup of her favorite tea nested between her hands. Slipping the hot brown liquid, she was seized by the sudden urge to cry. Torn between joy that Reya had found someone and the worry of her being hurt again, Igraine's emotions threatened to escape her control again.

Ever perceptive, Reya put the bowl away with the food barely touched and moved to kneel by her sister's side. Taking Igraine's hands, she gently removed the cup to set it on the floor. Reya twined her sister's hands round her neck even as she hugged the other woman round the waist. It was like a page of the past when Igraine used to comfort her from the lingering fears of her nightmares but now it was her turn to do the comforting. She did not speak nor ask a single question for she knew that there were things that not even sisters could share.

Don't we all have secrets to hide?

Things that we don't want any one to know…

So why ask questions when there will be no answers?

Igraine tightened her arms around her sister, drawing in the comfort that Reya offered so unconditionally. If only I could say something… but I can't… I can't let her bear this cross that is my own. If only I could be of more help to him… I can't let him become what the Ministry wishes him to be… If only… Knowing it was useless to continue pursuing such thoughts, Igraine banished them with a sigh.

Resting her head against her sister's, Igraine closed her eyes. " Thank you, Reya. I guess I needed that…"

" You don't need to thank me, silly. What are sisters for? " Reya chided gently.

 

You are always there

With open arms

To comfort and soothe me…

And I will do the same

Whenever you need me

I promise…

 


" Will you join us tonight? " The question was soft and sibilant, a seductive whisper by her ear.

The whisper was followed soon by a playful kiss as Sigurd start to nuzzle her ear. Without bothering to even look at him, Reya lightly swatted his face aside with a file and continued to concentrate on the work that she was rapidly typing into the computer console. Indignant that she treated him like a pesky fly, Sigurd refused to give up and continue his assault. Hugging Reya from behind, he trapped her arms effectively and proceeded to nibble her neck.

" Sigurd! " Distracted by the sensations that rippled down through her, Reya protested.

" Who told you to ignore me? Mmmm…. You taste so good, " His lips brushed up and down against her skin in a slow seductive way.

She rolled her eyes in mild annoyance but her hands stilled on the keys, a quiet surrender. He does deserve his reputation with the women… No wonder they are so loath to let him go… With a sigh, Reya succumbed to Sigurd's tender administrations for the moment. Sensing his advantage, Sigurd shifted to face her, using the full power of his imploring eyes.

" You'll get a headache from looking at that stuff all day long. Come with me tonight and relax… " He fairly purred.

" Oh, all right… if that'll get you to leave me alone to finish this up. Krelian wants it today as in now. Be good, Sig. "

" What will I get for being good? " Sigurd's blue eyes were mischievous as he teased her.

" How about this? " She grabbed his face between her hands and kissed him long and hard on the mouth.

The act took him totally by surprise but it was a surprise that he welcomed. Sigurd returned her kiss most enthusiastically. It was a long interval before he let her pull away. Reya's eyes had turned into a dark molten shade of emerald and Sigurd felt a sense of satisfaction that he had never felt before. Only for me… this shade of emerald… only for me…

" Now will you be nice and leave me alone? "

" For that… I'll do anything you say. " He drawled and detached himself from her with boneless grace.

Making her a mocking bow, Sigurd waved a jaunty goodbye and let himself out of the command room. Reya sighed and smiled a little resignedly to herself. It was ironic but also a small blessing that they were alone because Sigurd had a tendency to get over demonstrative with his affections when there was a ready audience around. She still remembered what Igraine had to say about that.

 

He's telling the whole world you're his…

You're his…

Somehow the two simple words made her happy just thinking about them. Buoyed by the positive feeling, Reya hummed a little tune as she analyzed the terrain scans brought back by the aerial patrol. As far as she could discern from the indistinct images, there was preciously little that would really help her to visualize surface conditions and plan for the first live mission foray for her students. The lack of useable intelligence did not surprise her because due to the escalating hostilities between Solaris and the rebellious Lambs, the surface dwellers had set up extensive air defense systems. Solaris was already starting to pay the price for underestimating the lowly Lambs.

Fingers flying, Reya swiftly imputed figures into the mission simulator system. Hopefully, her students had been taught better than to expect pure spoon-feeding. They were to be sent into war and it would be a short journey for the ill prepared. Not entirely depending on the simulator, Reya visualized several possible scenarios in her own mind that the system did not managed to emulate and programmed them in. Finishing that, she ran the whole mission over again to double check for anything she might have missed out. For all she knew, everything she had done was in futile. Krelian had not given any direct orders nor had he stated any specific objectives.

And his…will be the final decision…

Watching the process ran itself out across the computer console for the final time, Reya saved the whole sequence and proceeded to send the program over to Krelian's own private network. The screen flashed red for a moment in warning; an indication of the higher security embedded into the channel before she was prompted to enter the access code known only to her. Reya keyed in the code and waited for clearance that gained her entry. Almost immediately, his image appeared. Reya lifted an eyebrow in surprise, not expecting to encounter Krelian.

" You have done what I required? " His voice over the system sounded no warmer than in person.

" It is done unless you have… other orders? "

" It's enough. You will be given further directions tomorrow. "

" Very- "

His reply was almost curt as he cut the communication channel as abruptly as he came on without giving her any chance to say anything more.

" - Well."

The single word hanged in the air. Used to his ways, Reya merely shrugged at the blank black screen. Rising from her chair, she let out the breath that she had been unconsciously holding. So many years yet I still do that every time… So afraid that whatever I do will fail to meet his expectations… So afraid of his disappointment… His disapproval…And I doubt things would ever change.

All I want…

All I ask…

Is a little thing…

You hang beyond my reach…

Uncharacteristically, she felt a brief flare of anger against the inferiority complex that always overwhelmed her without reason. Anger that his presence could so easily depress the tiny pieces of joy that she had ever managed to find. She slammed her palm sharply against the console, turning it off with more force than necessary. It stung her hand a bit but did little to relief her negative feelings. Knowing full well that Sigurd would easily sense her dejection and unwilling to turn the night's gathering into a despondent affair, Reya decided to head over to the weapons hall to work out her frustrations.

She was glad to find the hall deserted for the evening, all the junior cadets having finished their training for the day. A quick glance at the clock told her that she had two hours to spare before the gathering at Igraine's Church quarters. Twisting her long dark mane into a knot at the nape of her neck, Reya secured it with a simple ribbon. Stretching gracefully to warm up, Reya closed her eyes taking deep breaths to prepare herself mentally even as she tied a piece of cloth over her eyes.

The sharp hiss of steal echoed in the deserted hall as she drew her sword in one fluid lithe move. Barely slowing, she spun with the force of the draw flowing into a swift attack. Her mind was void of all things except the imaginary shadow partner she now sparred with. Attack, parry and defense all woven into a dance as she whirled across the hall. Blindfolded, all her senses attuned to her blade even more keenly, moving as one with the sword. She had been trained to fight in total darkness so the loss of vision was no impairment to her skill.

Gradually, she slowed her moments as well as the rhythm of her pounding heart. Lifting her blade high above, she stopped in the exact position she had started her exercise. She stood perfectly still like a statue of living flesh, deeply aware of the sound of her slightly winded breathing and the welcome ache of her muscles. Reya sheathed her sword with the same liquid grace she had drawn it and whipped off the blindfold and the ribbon securing her sweat drenched hair in one motion.

Opening her eyes slowly to adjust to the light, Reya felt much better after her workout. She had timed herself perfectly, leaving her enough time to get back to her quarters for a leisurely shower before the appointed time. Turning her back, Reya stepped out of the weapons hall with a much lighter heart, faintly whistling bits of a tune that refused to go away.

 


The warm burnished golden glow of candles and the sound of laughter greeted her as she approached the garden that was part of Igraine's lodge. In the gathering gloom, the myriad wisps of flame dancing on the tips of fragrant white candles lend an ethereal mystic feel to the garden. Welcomed by the soothing scent of lavender, Reya felt like a mortal who had unwittingly stumbled into the forbidden realm of the legendary fairies.

Another burst of hearty laughter dissipated the illusion. Reya smiled at the all too human sound that she easily identified as Jessie's unrestrained guffaws. Hyuga's quiet chuckle, Kahr's chortle and the higher silvery peals of two women's giggles soon joined him. She recognized one as her sister's but the other escaped her. Miang? Did Kahr invite her then? Like the rest, she knew about the somewhat covert relationship between Kahr and the woman with indigo hair. Reya also knew that Miang worked closely with Krelian, having witnessed her numerous comings and goings from the Lab frequently. The woman seemed friendly and approachable yet Reya always felt that there was something about her smile that did not reach the dark violet depth of her eyes. Moreover, there was also the strange sense of chill that touched her whenever she interacted with Miang.

" Reya! You are late! And Sigurd is getting teased to death! " Igraine's exuberant greeting banished whatever uncomfortable thoughts she had.

" Save me! Rey! " Sigurd practically ran to her drawing more snorts of laughter all round.

As Sigurd hugged her enthusiastically, Reya realized why she had not been able to distinguish him from the laughter. It was because he was the one being laughed at. He glanced at her mournfully now; blue eyes wide and pleading with his sensual mouth turned down into a pout. Reya could not keep her grin from her face and she patted him on the head as she would a puppy.

" Poor Siggy… Come tell me how they bullied you, " She crooned softly.

Sigurd gamely played along.

" They… they… are so… so… BAD! " He pretended to squall like a small child. " They said… said… that if I… if I …am not… not a good…boy… you won't KISS me anymore!! "

" And are you a good boy? Sigurd? "

" Me good! Sigurd very good boy! " He even nodded his head eagerly to accent his declarations.

Reya paused thoughtfully with a finger held to her lip as she tipped her head to one side in consideration. She took her time about it, pretending to mull over the whole issue. Reya sighed over it as if hard-pressed to decide whether or not to believe him. Throwing her hands up in mock despair, she shook her head before shrugging indifferently, a conclusion reached.

" Well, I'm not going to kiss you good boy or not… so I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other. "

Sigurd looked stricken by her heartless comment, shoulders drooping with dejection, he let out a wounded moan.

" Poor man… " Jessiah drawled out sarcastically, not pitying him one bit.

" Jessie! " A pretty woman with beautiful warm hazel eyes scold gently and Reya recognized her as Raquel, Jessiah's wife.

" Not in front of so many people anyway… " Reya continued nonchalantly. " Now get me some food, I'm starved. "

Sigurd made a miraculous recovery immediately. Grabbing her hand, he pulled her eagerly towards the food-laden table set at one corner of the garden. Knowing that her sister could not have prepared all that spread alone, Reya suspected that Raquel must have helped as she deliberated over what to eat. Having gotten their evening entertainment, the rest of the company drifted over to start in on the feast. As usual, Jessiah proposed a toast in the honor of the chefs who were his wife and Igraine.

" I was right. " Reya muttered under her breath.

" Right about what? " Sigurd asked as he piled her plate high with food.

" Graine didn't cook this all by herself. That's enough, Sig. I can't eat so much!

" It's for the two of us…you'll feed me and I'll feed you… how's that? "

" No thanks, I can feed myself. " She turned him down flat.

" You could but I can't. Are you going to starve me? I don't look that good as a bag of bones, you know. Unless… you rather have me eat your cooking? "

Surprisingly, she did not respond with a rejoinder. Immediately, Sigurd sensed the subtle shift her emotions and his empathy picked up a faint hint of sadness. He was puzzled, unsure of why his remark had upset her.

Cook… if only I could…

Give me a knife and all these hands know what to do with it is to kill…

I can't even perform the simple task a woman does for the man she loves…

What else am I good for?

Nothing…

He touched her arm in concern. " Rey…"

" I can't cook. "

Sigurd almost sighed with relief. So this is what she's upset over…

" No matter, I can cook for the both of us. "

" You? I'll rather take my chances with Jessiah. " Reya retorted with doubt.

" I'll make you eat your words, Reya. "

" Let's see you try. Oh great! Graine's spiced potatoes… they are my favorite. Open your mouth, Sig. " Taking a generous scoop with her spoon, Reya feed Sigurd to make him shut up.

" Mmmmm….. delicious… "

" But not as delicious as you! " He declared as he tried to kiss her.

" Don't spill my food! They're precious! " Reya warned as she dodged.

It had the desired effect and Sigurd sobered immediately. Food not processed from the Solyent Facility was rare and it was only by her position that Igraine had managed to obtain what they have. Taking her plate from her, Sigurd set down both plates before suddenly grabbing her and fusing her mouth with his.

" Sig… I'm trying to eat and you are making me puke with all this lovebirds' stuff. Food's turning cold too. Eat before I start shoving it down your throat. There's plenty of time for that kissing later. " Jessiah complained loudly.

" Jessie! Who are you to grumble when you are just as bad when we were courting? No, you are worse! You never could keep your hands off me! "

" Eh…. " Unexpectedly rebuked by his wife, Jessiah was at a lost for words.

 

Laughter erupted all around, filling the normally quiet garden with life. Not a bit contrite, Jessiah grumbled beneath his breath before grabbing Raquel and giving her a big kiss too. Raquel's fair face was burning hotly when her husband finally released her. Everyone smiled indulgently at the only married couple among them still behaving like a courting pair. Sigurd grinned at Reya before following their example but this time he was not so lucky. Having anticipated his purpose, Reya turned her head at the last moment so all his lips grazed was her cheek.

" Sig, I'm hungry. Let's eat. "

Sitting down on the ground on top of a big blanket, everyone settled down to eat and engaged in small talk. Not having Miang with him, Kahr bid everyone an early night and excused himself instead of staying around and sticking out like a sore thumb soon after. While the remaining men folk enjoyed an after dinner drink, courtesy of Jessie, the three women made a quick job of cleaning up.

" Such a nice night, we could even see the moon from here…" Hyuga was remarking as the women joined them.

Raising her head, Reya was enthralled by the pale glow emanating from the full, unconcealed face of the moon. It was a simple, unmarred beauty in the dark skies accompanied by the diminutive shine of myriad stars. She took in the night scene, relishing it as something that she rarely had the privilege to enjoy. Her green eyes had a faraway cast when Sigurd clasped her hand, fingers entwining with hers.

Understanding the younger couples' need to be alone, Jessie and Raquel soon excused themselves as well. Letting Hyuga and Igraine have their own privacy, Sigurd strolled off and Reya followed, her hand held securely in his. She let him lead the way and he brought her to the secluded corner of the garden where she had been waiting after that fateful incident.

Sigurd gathered her close, his cheek resting against her forehead. He loved to bury his face in her hair and breathe in the unique scent that was pure Reya. He loved too to run his hand through her long tresses of ebony silk that glides through his fingers like strands of gossamer. She was like a black magic woman that had beguiled his heart and soul.

" Those stars… "

" What about them? " Sigurd regarded her tenderly.

" They look like tears… "

" Tears of the moon… "